Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Theatrical Overcompensation

I've come to the conclusion that at a certain point, a company correcting a mistake by giving away free services or products loses its impact.
A couple of years ago D had an evil plan. A couple of years ago? What am I saying? She has an evil plan every day. Well, this particular evil plan was to have the two of us experience some culture.
I'm a cultured guy. I love culture. I enjoy art galleries, museums, concerts, musicals. I enjoy ballet. And, my most secret of shames... I enjoy figure skating. So I asked D to tell me more. She mentions that she's been looking at the downtown theatre, at the play series they're running and that it looks really good. She decides to buy us a subscription to their season as a Christmas present.
The plays we see are good. Most of them very good. The actors are all believable, the plays themselves well written and impactful. It's a small theatre but it puts on a great show.
Fast forward to this year.
We decide to buy another subscription for this year's season, more based on how we enjoyed the previous year than because of the description of the new plays they'll be performing. When reading about the new season, we find out they're trying a new tactic. Split the season into two sub seasons, geared to different themes. Sounds great! What? We also get these electronic pass keys that will act as our tickets into the theatre? Fancy! That makes the gadget loving nerd inside me happy.
D orders the subscription.
And we wait.
And wait.
I sit hungrily anticipating my electronic access card, like a starved vulture waiting for a man lost in the desert to die.
We call the theatre, finally. No electronic pass keys. Something went wrong when they were being ordered, so we're going to be sent printed tickets. Oh, and because there's been such a delay, here's some free tickets to the Christmas show.
Great! D's sister is coming home from Britain at Christmas, her and her husband might like to come to the show! We're very happy about this compensation, even though it was unnecessary.
We see a couple of shows, have to reschedule one or two of them because the matinees are on days where one or the other of us is working, but we're enjoying the season. All of a sudden D gets an email from the theatre.
In essence, it says that they feel their performances so far have not been meeting their own requirements in terms of quality. So here's two free tickets to the Christmas show.
O-kay?
We see another couple of shows, and are rapidly approaching November when we both get a call on our respective phones. D actually answers hers, and finds out that due to low subscription and attendance rates, etc, we have to reschedule a play we were planning on seeing for a different day. We're fine with this, so we reschedule.
Oh, and by the way, due to the inconvenience this has caused, here's two free tickets to our Christmas show.
WE DON'T NEED ANY MORE FREAKING TICKETS! HOW MANY PEOPLE CAN WE BRING TO THIS DAMNED PLAY! I don't think I HAVE six friends who would want to go to see The Trial of Ebeneazer Scrooge. What am I supposed to do, scalp the things? (I'd like to put an edit in here since the writer of the play has apparently been reading my blog. I didn't intend for the above to imply my friends wouldn't LIKE the play. I just don't think I can round up enough friends with an interest in theatre and the spare time available to SEE the play.)
Please, god, stop with the tickets. You know what would be adequate compensation for a mistake? Promise NEVER TO OFFER ME ANOTHER FREE TICKET. Now that would make me a happy customer.

9 comments:

Mel said...

That's sad that the theatre is doing so badly. boo. I like that theatre.

Anonymous said...

I love christmas...I'll take a ticket.

Anonymous said...

and the image of you sitting and waiting for your electronic key card is humurous to me.

Mark said...

It's sad about the theatre and it's sad they're giving away so many tickets to The Trial of Ebenezer Scrooge. I wrote the show so it looks like I'll be getting coal instead of a check. I hope you like it. If you don't, lie and say you did.

Jeremy said...

I think it will be a fabulous show. I look forward to it. And if you and James want tickets, Lindsay, you can absolutely have a pair. (I think. D is the ruler of the tickets, so she knows our stock levels)

Anonymous said...

that is a shame about the theatre, i love it there too. i have enjoyed many of their past plays and hope that they keep the quality performances coming.

if you need to loose some of the extra tickets i am sure i can help with that. lol

Mark said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mark said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mark said...

re: your edit for me, the playwright. Can you kidnap someone?

(And sorry for the deleted comments. It kept putting up the wrong account. Either that or I've had too much egg nog)